Re: [T3] Kevin trek update (attn: Russ and Jim)

On Sat, 2003-05-31 at 21:01, Greg Merritt wrote:

> 	Two updates on Kevin G.'s trip from CA to MA in his '71 Squareback.
>
> 	First, got a postcard today from Kevin, sent from Butte, MT.  Cool!
>
> 	About an hour later, the phone rang... and it was Kevin
> calling from near Pierre, SD.  He had a couple of questions.
>
> 	Toward the end of their most recent leg, he was sleeping and
> his gf was driving.  She reports that the car finished the leg
> running at somewhat reduced power.  They don't seem to chalk it up to
> hills or altitude.  It doesn't seem to be running particularly rough,
> though Kevin says that the idle is a bit rough.
>
> 	I suggested that if I were in his shoes, I'd start with the
> points -- timing and dwell.  I would also check the four injector
> electrical connectors, and the trigger point plug, though I've
> usually found that problems with these would most typically be
> associated with rough running.
>
> 	I described the possibility of a clogged fuel filter causing
> "loss of power" troubles.  We talked about the location of the filter
> and how to change it, and that not just any filter will do due to
> pressure/flow/fitting size requirements.
>
> 	He also described a burning smell that seemed to be recent
> but ongoing, smelled more often when slowing down or coming to a
> stop.  As we talked, I forgot to mention the rear hatch seals.  He
> said that it did not smell like plastic burning.  Oh, he also used
> some chemical degreaser on the bottom of the engine before the smell
> started, though he didn't feel that there was strong correlation.
>
> 	He has your contact info, Russ and Jim.  (Lucky dog and a
> lucky part of the world to be in, if you ask me, if your '71
> Squareback is making a fuss!)  He also asked me to look up SD locals
> on the type2.com AIRS list; got four names for him off of that.

I just had a voice message from him in S. Dakota. I was outside and
didn't get to the phone in time. The message said he was going to call
me back later. He is having some kind of problem. I hope he can make it
here before I have to go back to work on Monday.

--
Russ Wolfe
'66 FB MT