Re: [T3] Info on synth brake fluids?

On 30 May 2003 at 17:14, Per Lindgren wrote:

> Personally I dont like DOT5. If you have some moisture getting in to the
> system, it wont be absorbed by the brake fluid, and can actually rust
> the lines from the inside. Also, if you have a water drop in the line,
> it can freeze to a plug in the winter. I stick to DOT4

I did a test for this problem in my basement. I put a couple of drops of water
in a test tube and then covered them with several inches of DoT-5. I then put a
cork stopper in the top of the test tube. (Cork is somewhat porous.) I wanted
to see what happened to the water.

A month later I checked and there was no trace of the water.

I repeated the experiment and got the same results. Apparently the water can
still pass thru the DoT-5 in vapor form and evaporate.

It remains true that a drop could freeze and plug a line, but you would still
have to have a way for the water to get in there, since it does not appear to
accumulate over time.

When Dow-Corning developed the DoT-5 one of the many tests they did was to put
several CCs of water in the master cylinders of several cars and then pump it
around to mix it thru the system. Then they parked the cars. A few months later
they took everything apart looking for rust damage and  to find where the water
had ended up. In the end, there was no water damage in any car, and they were
never able to find any of this water in the brake systems which they tore down.

I've been using DoT-5 since 1978 in ALL of my VWs. Our weather gets as cold as
yours. I've never had a problem like you're concerned with. In fact I've had
hardly any brake problems at all, much less than before I switched over.