Re: [T3] Timing

Bob, Steven, et. al.

The thing I didn't know the name of is the rotor; I don't have a dust
cover.  Anyhow, where the rotor points is my very problem.  I did the
test Steven suggested, and it reaches its highest point both when the
rotor is pointing at #1 and in the opposite direction, so I would assume
TDC#1 is when it points at #1, but the notch on the distributor rim will
not get over there unless I take out the entire distributor and
re-position it.  The thing that is really throwing me with all this is
that the car ran at some point and since it had broken down the
distributor has remained in the car, and if it somehow got that far off I
would expect to see something bent since there are other parts in the way
preventing it from moving towards #1--so if TDC#1 is when the rotor is
pointing towards #1, then how did the car even start with the timing mark
so far off; at least 90 degrees off?

I was then trying another method to figure out TDC#1, i.e. check to see
if the valves for #1 are in firing position, but either I am doing
something wrong or something is horribly wrong with my valves since no
matter where I turned the engine, I couldn't even get a .04mm feeler to
fit in the gap (note that I have never adjusted my or any valves).  I
checked and double checked, the best I could, to see if I was pushing the
feeler into the right place.  Perhaps I wasn't pushing on the rocker arm
with my thumb enough?  I didn't notice any difference though when I
pushed on it or when I didn't, there was no play...is this normal?  Also
there was oil dripping out of the exhaust valve for #1 for about 30min,
could this because the car is on a decline?

Sincerely,
Christopher J. Valade