[T3] Info on synth brake fluids?

Hey, this is probably old news but does anyone remember the +/-'s on using the synthetic
(or is that redundant?) brake fluid in our cars? I know Jim A. was big on it, I think
Toby was too, maybe? I pulled my master off and pulled it apart, lots of brown sediment
throughout the cylinder and the cast iron was rusty, almost like there was water inside
with the brake fluid (it's been sitting idle for ~2 years). I'd like to do the switch now
that it's all apart, I can't remember the brand name or the properties of the fluid, but
I think it was DOT 3 or 4 silicone, possibly? Anyway, TIA,
David Walters
'73 1600 L Notchback
S. FL, USA