Re: [T3] Timing

On Wed, 2003-05-28 at 13:57, redyouth@juno.com wrote:

> I went in to time my car last night, and found something which I believe to be just a tad odd:  according to Muir, the location for cylander one on the distributor should be around 10 or 11 o'clock (with 12 being the front of the car, 6 the back, etc.), yet when I turn the crankshaft pulley to make either of the paint marks show, neither time is the rotor pointing in the right direction, nor can I even turn the distributor to make it position with where it 'should' be, although I can get it to match up with the rotor.  My rotor at the two paint marks is about 7:30 and 1:30...  any ideas?  Am I missing something really simple here?  I can show pictures if my words aren't clear enough.  Anyhow, I can't even turn the engine over to see how the timing is since there is a severed wire in th front end which appears to be a ground (nearly positive of this) and from the ignition (nearly as positive)...I believe the towing company somehow caused this with all else they did to my po!
or!
>   car.
>
> Sincerely,
> Christopher J. Valade

You can check TDC (top dead center) of cylinder #1 by examining the
alignment of the rotor with a mark on the distributor body.  Pull the
cap off of the distributor and you should see a notch or a engraved line
that marks TDC for cylinder #1.  When you rotate the engine to this
point the timing mark on the distributor and on the crank pulley should
be lined up.  If they are not you will need to pull the distributor and
re-align it.  Once you have this setup then you can check the relative
position of the rotor against the distributor cap to determine the wire
/ cylinder combination.

I'm not sure what you are trying to do....

LRC