Re: [T3] Update on 1500N poor performance

on 28/5/2003 9:34 PM, Mark Seaton at Markse@mo-sys.com wrote:

> Hi Ben, I think there are 2 ball valves in the accelerator pump circuit and
> I think they are blocked off with brass plugs so this sounds about right. Is
> it noticeably different from the other carb?

Yes, I haven't seen a piece like this on any other VW-Solex carbs. This carb
does have a ball bearing non-return valve on the intake side of the
accelerator pump, but on the outlet side it has this extra valve. It is
pictured in the Haynes manual, page 64, item 30.

> Is it meant to be removeable?

Yes, it just floats up and down in a drilling on the outlet side of the
pump.

> I'm not 100% about this, but I don't think the power circuit is designed to
> work when the car is struggling up a hill- more for flat out under normal
> conditions like overtaking- could well be wrong though. I have some carbs
> that don't even have the power circuit tube. I think the accelerator circuit
> also comes into action as a kind of power circuit under extreme vacuum
> conditions so if thats not working it might explain a lean condition.

I am not totally sure where the outlet tube for the power circuit is on
these, the manual isn't completely clear? I know it has something to do with
the accelerator pump circuit, there is another ball bearing valve below the
diaphragm that opens after the accelerator pump has bottomed out.

I just remembered something that I forgot to mention in the previous email-
it does rev out better now- 40MPH in 2nd, and 60 in 3rd, but still a bit
sluggish in 4th. I think just driving it has cleared it up a bit or
something. I did a product called 'fuel set' in last time I filled up with
petrol. It is supposed to clean the fuel system out and decarbonise things,
I am not sure if it is actually doing anything but I thought I would give it
a try.

>> This weekend I will completely disassemble the carb and blow all of the
>> passengers out, to make sure there are no blockages there, and also
> recheck
>> the valves.
>
> You don't want any of those pesky passengers hitching a ride and slowing you
> down- blow them all out of there- I'm sure it will help solve all your
> problems ;-)

Whoops, that spell checker again! ;-) I will blow the passages out, I don't
think I have any passengers in my carb!

Ben Doughney

'75 1200L
'63 1200 - Ringo