[T3] Update on 1500N poor performance

Hi all,

I have spent the week adjusting the accelerator pump each morning to see if
I can get rid of the flat spot, and I have reduced it a lot, but it's not
gone yet. I pulled the plugs and had a look, and all of the plugs are a nice
brown colour, except for #4 which was nearly white. This was the same as the
previous plugs that were in there.

I also did a compression test today, and here are the results- #1 120, #2
120, #3 140, #4 130. So that wasn't as bad as I was expecting, so the
problem must be carb related.

After carefully studying the VW workshop manual I have found out that there
is something missing from my carb. There is supposed to be a brass
'accelerator pump needle valve', but it has been replaced at some stage by a
ball bearing and a piece of brass rod.

It's purpose (I think) is to block off an air passage when the fuel is
flowing through the accelerator pump, and stop fuel being siphoned through
the accelerator pump when it is not being used. I am not sure if this is
even related to my lack of power problem, but it can't be helping with the
flat spot.

Does anyone have one of these that I could buy?

I am also not sure if the power fuel circuit is working properly.
Particularly on hills I notice it misses like it is running lean when I push
the accelerator down the last 3/4 or so. It also makes a whistle noise, when
it is on the power circuit, it sounds almost like a turbo, but without the
performance ;-).

This weekend I will completely disassemble the carb and blow all of the
passengers out, to make sure there are no blockages there, and also recheck
the valves.

Ben Doughney

'75 1200L
'63 1200 - Ringo