Re: [T3] Lots of engine questions

Brad=>  Where is the condensor located?

It's clamped to the side of the distributor body. Bosch condensors rarely if
ever go bad.

=> I believe that I probably need to do a valve
=> adjustment.

It's the most important regular maintenance procedure next to oil changes.

=> I have what appears to be a good book
=> (chilton's) that covers the type 3 specifically.

Find a Bentley or Haynes manual and see if you can get a quarter for the
Chilton's at a swap meet or something. You'll be ahead.

=> I just did an oil change.  Was this stupid?

No. If the engine is level, you can pull the valve covers with oil in the
engine without fear of spills other than the little bit that always pools in
a corner of each cover. Have a rag ready for that.

=> Does a compression test indicate the health
=> of the valves / seats?

To an extent. If you have compression, the valves and seats are doing their
jobs. This can't tell you how long they'll continue to do their jobs,
however -- only a good look at the head off the engine can verify that.

=> Next to the coil there is a ceramic component
=> that I ASSume is a resistor.  I can not find that
=> part in any VW wiring diagrams.  What is it
=> for?  Is this standard on a type 3?

This sounds like a '50s-style coil resistor. This is not necessary to the
stock VW coil, and might even be harmful. You might check to see whether the
PO threw on a coil from an old Ford or something. If it doesn't say Bosch,
get a Bosch coil and remove the resistor.

=> The oil breather has 2 pipes coming off of it.

The steel tube came originally with a slitted rubber boot at the end. This
directs condensed oil vapor to the road when necessary. The rubber hose out
the side of the breather connects to the stock air cleaner to recirculate
blowby -- primitive emissions control. If you don't have a stock air
cleaner, you have nowhere to put this, but I wouldn't cap it.

=> One of the carberators is leaking, I believe
=> around the butterfly valve.  Is there a rebuild
=> kit available for these?

Butterfly valves commonly need rebushing at this age. It's an easy fix for a
skilled machinist and not usually expensive. Gasket kits are relatively
easily available for the stock PDSIT carbs. You may find, however, that
someone has overtorqued your manifolds or carbs at some point and the mating
surfaces just need to be reflatted.

=> disc shaped portion of the carberator that is
=> apparently the choke actuator.  There is an
=> electrical connetion there. Next to it is a 6V.

You have 6V choke heaters. This isn't unusual in your situation, as 12V
PDSIT carbs are relatively rare in the US. If you want working chokes,
you'll find that heaters from late Type 2 carbs are the same size.

=>  What is the effect of not having it connected?

No choke action. You will probably find that the chokes have been disabled,
tightened into the full-open position. Also not unusual.

=> The timing marks on the pulley should be referenced
=> to what on the engine?

Reference to the case seam above. I infer from this that you don't have the
generator pulley cover installed, and that your cooling air is being drawn
directly from the exhaust area. Given that you have no body in the area this
is probably not quite as bad as it would be in a stock car, but I think you
can expect that this will cause early engine death from overheat in any
case. Do you have no cover at all to keep junk out of the pulley?

Steven Ayres, Prescott AZ
'66 KG1600