Re: [T3] Lots of engine questions

<x-rich>What year is this type 3.

On Monday, May 26, 2003, at 09:12 PM, Brad wrote:

<excerpt>I am working on my type3 engine that is in a dune buggy.  I
have some

questions.  Please remember that it is in a buggy and I can not look
down on

it from the top like you can in its original car.  There is a lot
here, so

hold on tight.

1.    I am getting a miss in the engine.  I am going to do the usuall
plugs,

wires, cap, rotor and points.  Where is the condensor located?  I can
not

see it.

2.    I believe that I probably need to do a valve adjustment.  I am
sure

the PO never did anything like that.  I have never really understood
the

importance of this myself until recently.  How long does this process

usually take?  I have what appears to be a good book (chilton's) that
covers

the type 3 specifically.  I just did an oil change.  Was this stupid?
Will

there be a lot of oil draining out of the head with the valve cover
removed?

I am used to engines with the heads on top.

3.    Does a compression test indicate the health of the valves /
seats?

4.    Next to the coil there is a ceramic component that I ASSume is a

resistor.  I can not find that part in any VW wiring diagrams.  What
is it

for?  Is this standard on a type 3?

5.    The oil breather has 2 pipes coming off of it.  One is steel and
goes

straight down.  The other is coming off the side of the breather.
Where is

this one SUPPOSED to go?  The PO had a piece of hose coming off of it
and

going down also.  Can I plug this one since there is another?

6.    One of the carberators is leaking, I believe around the butterfly

valve.  Is there a rebuild kit available for these?

7.    There is a round disc shaped portion of the carberator that is

apparently the choke actuator.  There is an electrical connetion there.

Next to it is a 6V.  Does this mean 6 volt?  This is a 12 volt system.
Is

this just the heater that heats up the choke?  What is the effect of
not

having it connected?

8.    The timing marks on the pulley should be referenced to what on
the

engine?  Perhaps I am missing something?  It has been a long time
since I

did this kind of work, but I recall chevy's have a little pointer
above the

damper pulley with timing marks.

I know this is a lot, but I am very new to VW's and type3's are less
common

as you all well know.  Thank you all for your time.

Brad