[T3] Is there a sidedraft expert in the house?

Hi all,

I have got the '65 squareback up to scratch for the WOF tomorrow. I put in 4
new balljoints today, and sorted out the steering and also adjusted the roll
bar.

I am trying to make the engine go better but it hasn't improved much. Here
are the symptoms:

Car starts up fine and idles fine. Engine picks up nice and smooth when I
rev it in the driveway. It burns a bit of oil when it gets warm though. When
I drive it, it doesn't want to accelerate. When I put my foot down it
'bucks' and takes a while to rev up, and this is more pronounced when taking
off, especially on a hill. It just doesn't want to rev out, it won't do over
40 in 2nd, or 50 in 3rd. I can barely get to 65 in 4th. I have a steep
driveway, and it struggles to get up and backfires through the carb.

I did another tune up today: adjust timing to 10û BTDC, set points to 49û,
idle at 850rpm and mixture set. I fiddled with the accelerator pump a bit to
set it up how the manual says when experiencing a flat spot. I checked the
vacuum advance and that works fine, I set the valves 2 weeks ago. I haven't
checked the compression yet, I will do that when I next get a chance.

Any suggestions?
Ben Doughney

'75 1200L
'63 1200 - Ringo