Re: [T3] Favorite Year (was 71-72 changeover )

On 23 May 2003 at 23:51, Russ wolfe wrote:

> Well, after working on VW's since the early '60's, I would have to say
> that for all models, I prefer the '67. If the T-3 had just had IRS and
> FI. It was the first year for 12V as standard equipment. In the USA,
> the T-1 came with the 1500cc engine, and NO emissions stuff. This made
> the engine very easy to service.

I agree that if you want to choose the truly classic year then 67 is the best
for both type 1 and type 3. I'm partial to the early body style, IRS, and FI,
however, so that pushes me to the 69 as far as type 3s go.

> I am seriously considering converting my '66 T-3 to 12V and IRS. I am
> switching the engine to dual port. All I still need is the IRS axles. I
> have a set of automatic axles to trade if anyone is interested.

I have a 71 squareback MT IRS rear subframe, which you would also need, unless
you already have one. I have some extra MT IRS axles, too. They are the same as
beetle MT axles, so they should be easy to come by.