RE: [T3] Fuel Sender

On 23 May 2003 at 6:15, jason.smith@sarcom.com wrote:

> So I got to thinking and trying to find a similar gauge wire.  I had an old
> computer mouse laying around at work, so I cut the wire open to see what I
> could find.  There were some nice thin wires inside all wound together.  I
> took it home unwound a strand and compared it to the original wire and it
> seemed correct, but maybe a hair thicker, but still thin enough to break a
> few times.

That won't work. No copper wire of any reasonable thickness will work. You
won't find what you want in any common household device that I can think of. I
should be able to measure the wire sometime and calculate the conductivity and
maybe find out what it is, but you can start off by measuring the resistance
for 1 foot of the wire you're considering. If it's not 100 Ohms, +/- 20%, it
won't be any good.

A copper wire in that size will still probably have less than 1 Ohm per foot
resistance, and it will be too soft to stand up to the float sliding up and
down it for long. 40AWG copper wire would have 115 Ohms/ft, so that would be
close, but it is only .003" dia.

Is the original wire magnetic, by any chance? Try a magnet on it.

--
Jim Adney
jadney@vwtype3.org