Re: [T3] D-Jetronic vs 34ICT (long)

On Thu, 2003-05-22 at 22:15, Jim Adney wrote:

> and you will need .004" and .006" feelier gauges, a timing light, and a dwell
> meter. A voltmeter is occasionally useful for troubleshooting. Ask your
> questions here on the list as they come up and you will quickly become
> proficient.

I would say that a voltmeter is is useful more than occasionally. One of
the first things to check is the charging system. The D-Jetronic like it
to be right. I have seen digital meters at Harbor Freight for less than
$20.

> The uneven idle could be a couple of things. If the idle is set too high this
> will cause a loping idle, which is just a sign that the FI is reacting as it
> was designed to, but that the idle is just too high. Set the idle to 850-900
> rpm. If the idle is set too low the engine will struggle to stay alive.
>
> Do the tuneup things, check the valves, dwell, timing, advance mechanisms, idle
> speed. Then let us know what you found.

Also check the resistance of the plug wires and the rotor in the
distributor. The plug wires should not exceed 1500 ohms, and the rotor
should not exceed 5000 ohms.
The orginal plug wires are some of the best you can buy. You can replace
individual parts of them and never have to buy a complete set.

--
Russ Wolfe
'66 FB MT