Re: [T3] D-Jetronic vs 34ICT (long)

On 22 May 2003 at 10:35, Luis Colon wrote:

> I am an experienced Type 1 owner who just aquired a 73 Fastback with the
> D-Jetronic fuel injection.

> Is the system worth fixing / rebuilding or am I better off changing to
> carburation?

The system is extremely reliable and probably needs almost nothing to get it
working nicely again. It generally needs almost no maintenance. The shop wants
to sell you carbs because that's what they CAN sell you and this tells you that
they have no expertise in the D-Jetronic FI.

There is only one main drawback to the D-Jetronic FI system, and that is that
there are few mechanics out there who understand it anymore. You will do fine
if you are willing to learn and do your own work, but if you want to have the
work done for you by someone else you're in for a rough ride.

Parts are almost all still available new from Bosch, but much better deals are
available out there in good used parts. You are not likely to need much in the
way of parts, however.

You will want to buy the Bentley manual:

Volkswagen Official Service Manual
Type 3 Fastback and Squareback 1968-1973
published by Robert Bentley, Cambridge, Mass, 1974
ISBN 0-8376-0057-X / LPV 997 383 / VSQU
(excellent book, complete and well written)

and you will need .004" and .006" feelier gauges, a timing light, and a dwell
meter. A voltmeter is occasionally useful for troubleshooting. Ask your
questions here on the list as they come up and you will quickly become
proficient.

The uneven idle could be a couple of things. If the idle is set too high this
will cause a loping idle, which is just a sign that the FI is reacting as it
was designed to, but that the idle is just too high. Set the idle to 850-900
rpm. If the idle is set too low the engine will struggle to stay alive.

Do the tuneup things, check the valves, dwell, timing, advance mechanisms, idle
speed. Then let us know what you found.