Re: [T3] Some T4 engine questions.....

Hello-

> Things like gasket kits and small parts that were unique to the 1800
really are
> quite a bit more expensive. It seems to me that an 1800 gasket set was
> something like 2x the price of either the 1700 or 2L kit. That's an old
memory,
> and I wasn't shopping around, I was just buying from someone here who
> specializes in type 4 stuff.

The only difference would be the head gaskets, but those don't matter.  They
didn't work well, and even VW recommended that they be deleted during
rebuild.  So... you're paying double the price to get a special gasket that
even VW said you should throw away :-).

Of course, a 2.0 914 gasket set has special intake gaskets, and those are
pricey (phenolic spacer type for FI).

> What do you mean by "93-96mm cylinders have the same register?"
> I just don't understand the statement.

They all fit the same size registers in the heads (105mm) and case (100mm).
So, you can swap the bore from 93mm (1.8) to 94mm (2.0) to 96mm without
machining the case or heads.  And, if you want, you can even use the same
cylinders - just bore them out.

The 90mm cylinders (1.7) had a 100mm head register.  1.7 heads should be
opened up to the 1.8/2.0 size for a reliable overbore.  The 1.7 case is
fine - still the same size as 1.8/2.0.  The cylinders *should* be tossed in
the trash if you want to go bigger.  Think about it... 96mm bore in a 100mm
register is a 2mm wall thickness.  Not good :-).

Take care,
Shad Laws
LN Engineering - Aircooled Precision Performance
http://www.lnengineering.com