Re: [T3] Need starting help

On 19 May 2003 at 14:28, VW Rulz wrote:

> I have a 1970 Type 3 Squareback w/Automatic tranny.  I am having
> trouble starting her.

>  I replaced the condensor, points, and cap/rotor button because of no
> spark and other electrical issues.  During the process I did remove the
> distributor and replaced it back while the engine was TDC.

It is most likely that you didn't get the distributor installed all the way
into the engine, so the drive dog on the bottom of the dist is not actually
engaged in the slot of the drive gear. This would completely upset the ignition
timing, although sometimes it will stick in the right place long enough to let
you time the engine and fool you.

Grab the dist rotor and turn it CCW fairly hard. Can you turn it? If so, loosen
the dist clamp, and turn the rotor until it drops down nearly 1/4" That's when
you know that you're in the right place.