Re: [T3] First post

On 17 May 2003 at 0:54, Brad wrote:

> I have a type 3 engine in my dune buggy.  I will be having lots of
> questions.  Jim Adney has already benn very helpfull.
>     Last year I bought a crank pulley (fan) used.  I am doing a lot of
> dressing up of things while I have it torn down for repairs.  I want to sand
> blast and paint the pulley.  Does anyone know of a reason that I should not do
> that?

It shouldn't be any problem, but you might want to mask off the V-groove, just
because it will wear away there anyway, and you should make sure to get an even
coat where the pulley mates into the engine/fan so that it still runs true.

You may need to take the engine out to do R/R the pulley, as the central bolt
needs to be tight enough that you may not be able to torque it tight enough
with the engine in the car. Note that the type 3 torque is higher than the type
1 torque, so make sure to get it tight enough. If it comes loose it can damage
not only itself, but also the real fan, which it mates against.

I always spend some time with these pulleys filing the mold parting lines out
of them and cleaning up the casting marks. I don't know if there's any real
point, but at least it makes me feel like it won't build up with dirt as much
this way.