Re: [T3] 2 condensor questions

<x-flowed>

Jim Adney wrote:

Can I assume that when you replace the capacitor/condensor the spark comes back to normal?

It does.

It's possible that either the inductance of the coil or the capacitance of the capacitor/condensor are different from the Bosch versions. If this lead to a faster rise time (see my previous answer to your previous question) then the points might arc as they open. All this is pretty hard to judge because it depends COMPLETELY on how quickly you open the points. You are not likely to be able to open them as quickly by hand as they open in normal use even at idle, let alone at any reasonable RPM.

I never do this kind of test, but I've never had this kind of trouble, either. So I don't know what you should expect to see.

It's hard to say what I expect to see, but according to the Haynes manual, it is supposed to have a barely visible spark on the points. This is what I have now. I will be putting in genuine VW capacitor soon, when it arrives from Germany. Hopefully that will cure the problem.

PerL
73 Variant L