Re: [T3] Air Filters for Carburettors

On 14 May 2003 at 15:18, Petri O. Calderon Larjanko wrote:

> The air Filters in the picture are cool.  Anybody knows what works best to
> keep the carburettors clean: oil bath filters or conventional filters (like the
> ones in the picture)?

The best air filters you will find anywhere are the original oil bath ones. The
only reason to change them would be because you installed an aftermarket carb
that would no longer work with them.

> Also, I assume that removing oil bath filters disables the facility to
> redirect warm or cool air to the carburettors, any harm in that?

In cold weather the OE system admits warm air to help to keep the carbs from
icing up. In very hot weather the same system ducts cool outside air to them.
Without this ducted air the air that is just around the engine is pretty hot
and the engine won't quite run as well.