Re: [T3] '68 brake troubles

On 13 May 2003 at 17:10, Heather Woltz wrote:

> My first question is:
> I have a pair of â71 calipers that are good (rubber
> boot thingys are intact, pads have plenty of meat) and
> worked well when I removed them...they have been
> sitting for over a year. They have slightly different
> part numbers but they both have the single bleeder
> screws. Will I be able to install the â71 calipers
> with out any problems? Is there anything i need to be
> aware of or check?

The early 71 calipers are exactly the same as the 68s, so as long as they will
bolt in place, they are fine. Whether they are still good after a year of
storage depends a lot on how good they were and how they were stored. They can
certainly rust up tight in that amount of time.

> Second question:
> How different are the Master cylinders between the â68
> and the â71? I isnât â71 is the dual piston one? I
> would like to use my â71 in place of the â68.

Both are tandem (dual piston.) They will interchange, but the LF hard line may
be different if you still have the original 68 style MC.

> My third question is:
> I also need to transport it only like 30 miles, so I
> can replace the long brake line(apt living very
> restricted) Can I ãpinchä (or block) off the line well
> enough so it can keep pressure on just the front
> brakes?

If it's a tandem, you don't need to even pinch it off, BUT this only works if
you are SURE about EVERYTHING related to your front brakes. Since that is
almost certainly impossible, pay the $50 to get it towed or flatbedded. How
much is it worth to you to keep from killing yourself or someone else who
didn't get a chance to be part of your decision making?

> Last question:
> How hard is it to install the long brake line? I tried
> to remove an old one and I couldnât get the threaded
> part to come through the front holes (by the pedal
> cluster) Can you install the line without taking out
> the pedal cluster? Will the threaded part go through
> the pan holes?

It's hard. Buy a new line and cut the old one into 3 parts. Plan to spend the
day on this. Take out the pedal cluster and the driver's seat. Prepare your
vocabulary and your special tongue positions for that hard-to-reach Tee at the
rear end of the line: The one they install at the factory BEFORE the body is in
place.