Re: [T3] Another Generator bites the dust

On 13 May 2003 at 11:47, Martinez, Leon wrote:

> The first one, the contacts were
> worn away (burned), then burned the new German one, the contacts were
> fused, I guess too much current from charging a very dead
> large battery.

This sounds strange because the VR has a current sensing winding, it should
limit itself to the 30A rating of the generator.

> I finally bought a Bosch electronic voltage
> regulator, never again will I have problems with burned or
> fuses contacts, the new part just drops in. I always check
> the charging system with a ammeter to see if excess current
> causing premature worn brushes or damaged regulator, always
> looks ok but maybe I did not catch the problem.

I'm very interested in how your new electronic VR works out. I think this
changeover is way overdue, but solid state is not always a cure-all either.

> I do not have overly power hungary systems, lights only use
> 55/65 watts , stereo always turned to low since speakers sound
> crappy now, I do have fans to cool the oil coolers but they should not
> draw much current.

> I replaced it with a Bosch rebuilt generator that had the brushes
> sparking right after I installed it

Have all these generators all actually been REBUILT BY Bosch? Or are they just
Bosch generators rebuilt by "someone"? I always thought that the Bosch rebuilds
were very good quality, but others were a crap shoot. It's certainly possible
that Bosch's quality is slipping, or that the Bosch rebuilder in your area is
not as good as mine. We can be pretty sure that they're not shipped back to
Germany for the rebuilding.