Re: [T3] Tranny plug size? and Question of the day...

Hello-

Just to add to what you said...

> >What is the actual size [ mm] of the tranny drain/fill Allen cap?
> >
> IIRC it is a 17 mm.

You remember correctly :-).

If you don't have the proper tool, then a 10mm bolt with a pair of nuts
(usually have 17mm heads) can work fine.  Put the nuts on the end, tighten
them against one another, then stick the head of the bolt in the tranny and
a socket/wrench/whatever on the outermost nut.

> And for the bug, if you cant get the tranny out of gear, you could pull
> the engine. That way the tranny can spin as much as it wants, wont hurt
> anything.

And, if you are cramped for space, after pulling the engine, unbolt the
pressure plate and remove the clutch disc.  Then, you can put the engine
right back in.

The only possible risk I see with the above is that the pilot bearing inside
the gland nut may not be all that happy.  Like throw-out bearings, they are
designed to have a low duty cycle, so I dunno if it'll like constant duty
(engine not moving, tranny always moving).  They are a very cheap part to
replace, though (~$5), and may make it a hell of a lot easier to get the car
outta there.

Hasta,
Shad Laws
LN Engineering - Aircooled Precision Performance
http://www.lnengineering.com