[T3] any filter, good filter?

Hi all, yesterday on the way home from a friends house 35 miles away, the
fuel filter started choking and the car started to fuel starve. I had also
no tools/spares in the car (never again!). Luckily, there was a Pep Boys
repair shop not too far, so we limped there and I told the service manager
what the problem is and what I needed. He was willing to replace the filter
but he didn't have it. So, I picked a generic one (maybe Toyota) off the
shelf, with the right size inlet/outlet to fit the 8mm fuel lines and told
him to use it. The car runs fine since but my question is: will this filter
be as good as the FI appropriate vw filter? are there pressure, capacity and
flow considerations here that I should watch for?
thanks for any thoughts.
hisham
70 sq

---
[This E-mail scanned for viruses by SURFSIDE INTERNET]