Re: [T3] My VW weekend

on 12/5/2003 2:43 AM, Russ wolfe at russella@prairieinet.net wrote:

> You say all the valves were loose? Which heads do you have?? '65
> "should" have the late heads. That are adjusted .006". The earlier style
> heads were supposed to be adjusted .008" intake and .010" exhaust.
> You can spot the earlier heads by the cast in boss that the rocker arms
> sit on. The late heads have a square boss, and the early ones a round
> boss. BUT, there is a kicker here. The early heads could have been
> converted. Those will usually have the round boss on the head, but the
> rocker arms will be held on with bolts instead of studs. These converted
> heads are adjusted to .006"

Yes, they are the late heads, but they were all set to about .008". One of
the locknuts was also loose so I think it was just sloppily done at the last
tune up. I did have to take the rockers off to free up the adjusting screws.
That is a sign that the valves have not been done for a while isn't it?

Thanks,
Ben Doughney

'75 1200L
'63 1200 - Ringo