Re: [T3] My VW weekend

On 11 May 2003 at 21:01, Ben Doughney wrote:

> Should a '65 have a wire
> running down the middle of the column?

Yes.

> There is also a rattle, I think it is coming from the fan housing, it might be
> one of the bolts has come loose or something. The plastic plug is missing from
> the centre of the fan pulley, were these installed on the earlier models? I am
> wondering if it fell off, and some of the bits are rattling around in there.
>
> It is not a loud rattle, I thought it might have been the tinfoil on the
> bottom of the engine hatch crinkling from wind while it was going along, but it
> happens at idle, I just wasn't listening carefully enough. I got a plastic tube
> and stuck it over the timing hole as a stethoscope and I can hear it quite
> clearly.

Grab the fan housing and shake it. If it is loose, then you have to take it
apart to fix it, but it MUST be fixed. With the engine off I'd bend a wire to
scrape down under the pulley to see if there's some junk rattling down under
there. Pieces of old gen belts can accumulate down there and rattle around, and
sometimes you get stones, or random stuff in there, too. This is an easy fix if
that's the problem.