Re: [T3] 2 condensor questions

On Sat, 2003-05-10 at 15:20, Per Lindgren wrote:
> Hi Volks,
>
> Just two short condensor questions tonight.
>
> #1 Why does my VWs eat condensors for breakfast? They only seem to last
> a few months each... I remember someone said here that they never have
> to replace the condensor, but I have to do it all the time. I dont get it.
>
> #2 How do I check a condensor to see if it's bad or not? The Haynes
> manual says to open the points in the distributor with the ignition on,
> and check for sparks. The thing is I have several condensors I want to
> check to see if they are bad or not

I am one of the ones that said that I had never replaced a "Bosch"
condensor, except for mechanical damage.
If you are burning up Bosch condensors, I would wonder about the coil.
Is it an original coil, or some kind of aftermarket coil. The value of
the condensor is matched to the inductance of the coil. IIRC, the
original condensor was rated at about .005 microfarad @ 300V, but don't
quote me. It has been a long time.

--
Russ Wolfe