Re: [T3] Back from Portland, back on list

--- Hal Sullivan <tristessa@pon.net> wrote:
> 5/6/03 10:56:33 PM, Greg Merritt <gregm@vwtype3.org>
> wrote:
> >Basically this works out to
> >Californians driving closer/faster, and merging
> more efficiently.
>
> Boy Greg, I can sure tell you're not familiar with
> what passes for
> "merging" here in the north bay.  Most of it seems
> to be

I'll confess this is actually what I'm most worried
about driving a Type III automatic on Long Island
(well, not so much worried, but I've thought a lot
about it). Our parkways were built for cars travelling
at 30mph, and subsequently the onramps (if you can
call them that) are more like "dump-ins" where you
have to come to a complete stop before entering the
parkway lanes. Then the "merge" lane can be less than
100 feet and it ends where the parkway goes under a
bridge. Lots of fun.

Maybe I'll be taking the expressways instead, where
the entrance ramps are longer, but the 18-wheelers get
to play with you. :)

Aaron

=====