Re: [T3] Back from Portland, back on list

<x-flowed>At 10:14 PM -0700 5/6/03, Hal Sullivan wrote:

And for all the warning I got about "idiot drivers", I didn't see anyone that *I* would give that label -- probably the biggest idiot driver within half a mile of me .. *was* me (because I don't know the area). I also noticed a distinct lack of "a$$holes", compared to here in NorCal. And plenty of

Actually, we Californians drive in ways that achieve greater capacity on our highways.(*) Basically this works out to Californians driving closer/faster, and merging more efficiently. When traffic engineers model California highways, they have to use significantly different numbers in their models than the "standards" for the rest of the U.S.

Also, California tends to allow more generous onramps, so we have a mellower/easier time entering a highway. Herein lies the Type III content -- we stock-engined folks in Cali generally have an easier time building up a head of steam to get onto the highway. ;)

-Greg "I'm not a traffic engineer, but they're all around me at work" Merritt

(*) Note that I didn't say we drive "better" or "more nicely" or "more safely", but rather that we can shove more of our cars per hour through a given stretch of highway than folks in other parts of the U.S...