Re: [T3] Explain this! (cigar lighter and fogs - constant power)

On 6 May 2003 at 8:49, Toby Erkson wrote:

> Makes sense to me.  I go a step further and wiring my radio to have constant
> power instead of traditional ignition-only.  I don't want to have to have keys
> in the car to listen to the radio/cassette/CD/whatevernewiscoming.

What you're doing is the normal, "correct" way to do it. This means that you
can listen to the radio without burning the points or overheating the coil.
This is standard for any car which doesn't have an accessory position for the
ignition lock (VW being just about the sole holdout on this issue in those days
and a couple decades later.)

The last fuse on the right was always specified for accessories and stayed on
even with the key OFF. A radio, etc, would be the natural thing to install
there.

I don't know how long it would take to burn the points, but I think it would
depend on their position: no damage if they were open, slow damage if they were
tightly closed, but rather quick damage if they just happened to be lightly
touching. I don't know if this latter actually ever happens.