RE: [T3] do engines blow up?

<<--Ever try to put out a magnesium fire? :)>>

Yes! My 69 sunroof bug w/ 1776 dropped a valve (I think). My dad came to
help tow me. We had a tow bar, tried to do things right...but somehow we
were stupid enough to not think about the friction the engine would
generate. As the 460 4 barrel started to lug down, my dad said, "Ah, it's
just the carb. got to blow these things out once in a while." Zoom. "Hey
dad, what's that all that smoke?"

Oh man, all my stuff from college was in the car. Stupidly I jumped in and
retrieved my stuff (including textbooks, which I continued to bring to class
even though they stunk and were all charred).

The fire department came and emptied their truck on my car (rust?). The
state patrolman was only interested if we could get it off his road. To this
day it sits in my Dad's yard; a testament to our stupidity.

Joe