Re: [T3] Re: Petrol octane

> Hmmm, but how can I be sure that my engine will last if I use unleaded
> instead of what is supposed to be lead replacement petrol.

Some European air-cooled VWs have used unleaded for longer than Australia, and
in the USA they've used it for longer still.  If your engine uses genuine VW
parts - valves and guides - it will be OK.  If it's been rebuilt with poor
quality parts, it may not.  If it is ready for a top overhaul, unleaded won't
cure it, but neither will LRP.

I've not heard of any problems with heads here in the UK if they were proper
quality, but some people still use the much more expensive LRP because the
additive companies have persuaded them it is necessary.  It isn't!  I have heard
the build-up of sodium or potassium additives in LRP can be harmful to the
engine, but that's probably rubbish too!

Dave.
UK VW Type 3 & 4 Club
http://www.hallvw.clara.co.uk/
------