Re: [T3] Another Bumper ?

On 1 May 2003 at 7:27, jason.smith@sarcom.com wrote:

> I have those bumper 'overriders' on my Square(71) and I would like to remove
> them.  On the rear bumper the bolts that hold them on are completely rusted to
> the screws.  If I have to cut the bolts off, do they serve any other purpose,
> perhaps to hold on the rubber stripping?  Also I am not quite sure how they are
> attached :), it is via a bolt through the center of the bumper next to the
> bumper bracket, correct?

I think the overrider bolts replaced shorter bolts whose heads used to lie
under the rubber strip. To install the overriders the OE bolt was removed and a
hole was drilled thru the rubber strip. You might be able to patch up the
rubber strip with some black silicone caulk.

Those bolts are always rusted tight. you might be able to get them apart by
torching them, but you'd need to make sure you didn't heat up everything else
around them and destroy the rubber strip.