RE: [T3] Welding - bumper brackets

>As a side note, I have been running without the rear bumber,
>because the PO had wired it to stay but with every bump it
>gouges the sides of the fender and deteriorates the weld on the
>left side.  I am thinking of just removing the bumpers
>(front too) until I can have this fixed.
>I don't see too may cars with both bumpers removed, I do
>see a lot with front removed and rear intact.
>What are some opinions?
>Would this still be considered stock if you remove stuff?

> I think most state laws require that you have a bumper at
> each end. While I've
> never heard of anyone getting stopped just for this, it COULD
> be one of those
> things that gets added on if the cops decide they want to
> stop you anyway.

What about those little chrome t shaped bumpers I see on the beetles? They
would be a lot lighter and smaller (therefore easier to keep attached and
they won't scrape anything).   Do those count as bumpers?  They are probably
pretty cheap too.

Jason Smith
71 Square FI AT
http://jasontsmith.tripod.com/vw.htm