Re: [T3] Squareback Liftgate Hinges

On 31 Mar 2003 at 21:51, Dave Hall wrote:

> According to the parts book, the tailgate torsion hinges changed from '67 model;
> the lock washers changed in about Oct '69 (no great problem, I'd expect); the
> left hinge is the same until the '72 model; the right hinge is the same from
> '66.

My the time my microfilm came out this detail had been dropped and VW showed
just one hinge for each side for all years of type 36s. I had no idea that
anything changed in 67, but I suspect the later hinges will fix your problem.

OTOH, the left hinge in my 68 had exactly the same problem in 1974. I drilled
out the hole and installed one of the removable pins from a junkyard hinge and
this kept it going for many years afterwards. I have spares of these pins if
you need one, but you can get one from your spare, too.