Re: type3-d Digest V2003 #63

Hi !
       I read a message posted on vwtype3.org regarding installing an AC in a type ö3 . I also read  some comments posted , advising against such  an adventure . First let me introduce myself . I am Manish Tiwari , residing in New Delhi , India and I own  a 1971  Super 1302  ( restoration work over ). I also own a 1971 Squareback ( The resto work on this is to start ). I have finished with the mechanicals in general and the car is to go for a body / paint / upholstery job  soon .
        I have been planning ( breaking my head over it rather )on an AC for the Squareback before it goes for the bodywork . No doubt it is not an easy task considering the pancake engine.  But I have some suggestions and if you could improve upon it  , would be helpful .
         First of all the Compressor -  I have heard of a variable load compressor being manufactured by Delphi systems which is available for about $180  here .  I will shortly be getting some literature on the same and I shall send you the details . Aim is to go in for a not too powerful compressor that does the job . Also it would be advisable to screen and effectively seal off the rear luggage space   . Something like the rear potion of a convertible hood but with a much bigger  clear plastic .
         Positioning the Compressor -  One probable location is on the air intake housing  of the block right behind the  oil bath filter .  The  fan cover will have to be cut for this and I agree that this could result in warm air being drawn in by the fan . Would be worthwhile to check  if the  cover could be enlarged to enclose  the  new layout . The silencer assemble prevents ,to my knowledge  , the positioning on the lower side . There was also talk of the probable need to shift the air filter . Another alternative could be to fix the compressor  in place of the dynamo and shift the dynamo on to the position suggested above ( hope it doe'nt sound stupid ).  In any case it will have to be a two belt system .
Cooling Coil  -  The best place   is in the front  . This means the tyre cannot come  vertically in front and has to be placed horizontally  in the boot .   I donât want to spoil the front  BLANK look of the car and hence  the modification would be on the lower portion of the front ( that falls below the bumper )  , the assembly would be in the airflow . It is at an almost 30 ö 35 degree angle and  an air  intake grill nicely  made  would barely be visible . The  cooling coil can be large with a powerful fan . Sending the lines upfront is no problem , there is ample space for that .  The blower assembly can be mounted under the dash on the passenger side . use A National assembl  .
       Engine   Heating   :  The  extra  load will no doubt cause more heating , particularly in city  stop and go conditions .  The only alternative is to fit an additional oil cooler ( no modifications on the stock cooler fitted ) .  I have fitted an extra oil cooler in my stock 1302 1300cc engine ( the car is a German import and had an option of a less  powerful engine  but with  twin port cylinder heads ) . The oil cooler has been fitted behind with its own fans ( two of them ) . The oil intake is taken from the  oil pressure switch . Infact I fitted a brass adapter on to pressure switch housing into which goes the  switch and out through another opening goes the oil into the oil cooler through  pressure oil hose. The oil is returned back into the engine  via the dynamo bracket foundation ( the left outer bolt  when removed  -  the opening is clear through to allow oil to flow  back ).  In case of the  pancake engine the  pressure switch is in the  oil cooler itself ( hope Iâam right ) ö out flow is not a problem - - Any suggestions on the inflow port for the oil .
                                                                                                                                Mike
PS :  . The cost of  petrol being quite high here I am planning to run my squareback on  LPG ö Lovato Kit ( auto propane ) . Any suggestions ?