Re: [T3] "R" distributor pics

On 25 Mar 2003 at 10:27, Daniel Baum wrote:

> The "T" distributor is exactly the same as the "R", except that the
> "T" still has the felt plug in the top of the shaft. It does twist and
> spring freely back. Possibly it sprang back with a little less
> enthusiasm than the "R" unit, but that's only a very subjective
> judgment. I'd need to ask someone who actually knows how they're
> supposed to work to be sure.

It's probably okay.

> I'll put some oil down the shaft and see if it makes any difference.

Right.

> I suppose the next question is: As both the mechanical and vacuum advances
> seem to work, does the distributor actually need to be rebuilt? One further
> thing that I didn't like about the "R" unit was the amount of up-and-down play
> on the shaft. This is a lot less on the "T".

The only other thing I do is stone down the cam to get rid of burrs that come
from the wear against the point's rubbing block. This helps the points last
longer.

If the axial play is large then I would expect that the snap ring at the top is
not fully seated, or the washer is missing. I usually have to "finish off" the
snap ring by pushing it down with a small screwdriver until it snaps under the
knob on the top of the inner shaft. If your snap ring is already under there
and loose, then maybe it has become stretched. You might be able to remove it
and squeeze it a bit tighter.

OTOH, you may be confused because the play you feel is actually the sum of the
play in BOTH shafts. There are shims on the lower shaft which often come apart
and lead to greater play in that shaft. This would add to the play you feel
when you just pull up on the top and give the appearance of more upper shaft
play.

Overall, it seems unlikely that you need to have anything rebuilt at this time.

--
Jim Adney
jadney@vwtype3.org