Re: [T3] Trigger points question/Bad Spark Plugs

> Gas mileage this low makes me wonder if your voltage regulator is worn out.
> Check your system voltage: It should be above 13.5V at med rpm with the engine
> warm after a drive.

The VR is new (~6 months) Bosch, at medium RPM the voltage is at 14.4V, so that's not a
problem.  Also, the dist. cap is good and points, timing and valves are set correctly for
the car.

It just stuck me as odd that the two plugs that were bad are triggered together by the
trigger points.

> > As part of the tune-up, I replaced the spark plugs.  Plugs 2 & 3 were fine while
> > 1 & 4 were black and evidently running VERY rich.  I believe the trigger points
> > fire the cylinders in pairs (2&3/1&4), correct?  I used an ohmeter to check both
> > trigger point leads from the dizzy and it swung from 0 --> inf. for both sides
> > using the middle prong as ground.  I also cleaned the trigger points with an
> > index card but they were not dirty.
>
> It may not be a FI problem. It could also be an ignition problem, due to #1 & 4
> not firing for some reason. Check your dist cap for tracks that might cause
> this. Low system voltage could also cause this, and it might just be that #1 &
> 4 were the first to be overwhelmed by the over rich mixture.
>
> You are correct about #1 & 4 being injected together.
>
> > Am I looking in the wrong direction for the problem?  My valves are okay, the
> > car points and timing in spec (the car has a 68 FI dizzy, so the timing is
> > slightly different than a stock 72), and the fuel pressure is 31.
>
> If this is a 72 engine with a 68 dist you should be timing it to the mark that
> is the second from the left. (The 68 and 72 timing marks are different.)

> --
> Jim Adney
> jadney@vwtype3.org
> Madison, WI 53711-3054
> USA

=====
all new and now with genuine meat by-products...
http://www.machobeagle.com