Re: [T3] "R" distributor pics

Wow! What can I say; you live and learn. Goes to show how bad it is to make
assumptions based on some half-remembered generalisation that I probably
read on this list or the Type 34 list once.

There is one misunderstanding though; all three of those pics are of the "R"
distributor. The "T" distributor is in the car, but _seems_ to be
practically identical.

This is a pic of it:

http://www.type34.info/album/Engine/slides/Inside%20the%20distributor.JPG

> To test the mech adv. grab the rotor and twist it CW. It should rotate and
then
> spring back when you release it. If it doesn't rotate then it is stuck. If
it
> rotates but doesn't spring back then it is just sticky but this still
won't
> work right because it won't advance and return as the RPMs change. Either
way,
> you may want to send them to me to rebuild.

How far is it supposed to turn? I put a rotor on the "R" distributor, held
the base still and twisted it CW. It _did_ rotate a bit, and it did snap
back. I suppose it rotated a bit less than 1cm.

That snap ring that you were so interested in shot off when I removed the
rotor. I found it and put it back, but it's a bit loose.

I won't be able to test the newly-discovered mech advance of the "T"
distributor until it stops raining, as the car is all wrapped up.

I would certainly like to send you one of them for a rebuild. That just
leaves the question of which one. Any indications I should look for as to
which one is the most rebuildable? Any idea which is actually more suitable
for my car?

Thanks

Daniel Baum
1969 Type 34 automatic