From: Jim Adney [mailto:jadney@vwtype3.org]
Sent: Monday, March 24, 2003 9:24 AM
To: Type 3 mailing list
Subject: Re: [T3] wheel bearings, etc.

On 23 Mar 2003 at 22:35, Earthman? wrote:

> After replacing all my ball joints & tie rod ends I set about checking my
wheel
> bearings before lowering Brisby to the ground. As it turns out, one of my
outers
> is in need of replacement, starting to pit & fleck metal..   for the
purpose of
> roughing my alignment in (so I can drive her down to a real shop) I
decided to
> simply repack that bearing with fresh grease and drive lightly. Anyone
advise
> against a few miles on  the car until the offending bearing is replaced?

I'm sure you can get away with this, but I'm puzzled, why not just replace
the
bearing since you already have it apart?

> OTOH, while enjoying this new found firmness (even while suspended:) in
the
> outer branches of the steering, my attention is drawn to a healthy bit of
slop
> in the steering box itself. I'll be giving this a run through per the
Bentley
> manual tomorrow. Any real world addendums to this out there??

Make sure the flex coupling disk is in good condition. You may find that the

play you have is normal for this car. "A healthy bit of slop" is pretty
subjective, so this may be what all of us have.

--
Jim Adney
jadney@vwtype3.org