Re: [T3] "R" distributor pics

On 24 Mar 2003 at 9:44, Daniel Baum wrote:

> A general view
> http://www.type34.info/temp/R%20Distributor.JPG

This looks like it has a body tall enough to accommodate a mech advance. That's
what all the space under the breaker plate and above the bottom of the body
would be used for. If there's no mech advance, then Bosch doesn't waste that
space, they just cast a shorter body.

> The serial numbers. As you can see, the Bosch number is 0 231 150 010:
>
> http://www.type34.info/temp/Serial%20numbers.JPG

This, too looks tall enough to be a mech adv dist. I don't have the Bosch parts
list for this one, but I can probably get it if necessary.

> The inside. The number of the vacuum can is 461:
>
> http://www.type34.info/temp/Inside%20distributor.JPG

This proves it! Look inside the top of the shaft. See that snap ring? That's
what holds the 2 halves of the dist shaft together. Only mech adv dists have 2
halves; a vac only dist would have just a simple drilled hole there, with
nothing special at the bottom. The rust that is evident there is why the mech
adv is not working; the two shaft halves are frozen together. This will give
you a huge loss of power.

To test the mech adv. grab the rotor and twist it CW. It should rotate and then
spring back when you release it. If it doesn't rotate then it is stuck. If it
rotates but doesn't spring back then it is just sticky but this still won't
work right because it won't advance and return as the RPMs change. Either way,
you may want to send them to me to rebuild.

If they really ARE working, you should drop some oil down the top of that
shaft. There should also be a felt plug there to hold some extra oil.

Both of these distributors appear to be basically the same style. I believe
they both have mech advance and they both use the same breaker plate, which you
can repair or replace. BTW, this breaker plate was used on almost ALL Bosch/VW
dists from 68 to 80 so you might be able to find one on a beetle, bus, or Golf
in a junkyard. Also Mercedes, BMW, Audi, etc.... Anything with 4 cylinders and
points that connect out the side of the dist.

--
Jim Adney
jadney@vwtype3.org