Re: [T3] Best dizzy for AT with carbs?

On 22 Mar 2003 at 21:28, Mark Seaton wrote:

> From: "Jim Adney" <jadney@vwtype3.org>
>
> > On 21 Mar 2003 at 9:38, Jim Adney wrote:

> > This is what the later (vac/mech adv) dists do, and the > > later
> carbs that were made to work with them had their vacuum ports drilled >
> > differently so they would provide the right vacuum under the right
> conditions > > FOR THOSE DISTRIBUTORS.
>
> Wouldn't that be that they would need a vac retard to reduce the advance
> under strong vacuum/load going up hill?

You could do it either way, depending on whether the vac got stronger when the
load increased or it got weaker as the load increased. THIS is exactly where
the confusion comes from, because the early engines, those which came with vac
only dists, came with systems which provided a vac which got stronger as the
load increased (as the air flow increased.)

The only late cars that I'm familiar with, that came with vac/mech advance
dists, are the FI ones, so I'm hoping for some help from our European listees
on this. The FI vac is zero under all conditions except med to high speed with
low load (low throttle.)