Re: [T3] Swingaxle to IRS and difference in height thereafter?

On 21 Mar 2003 at 11:55, David Hornback wrote:

> The orig. tranny in my '65 will need a rebuild pretty soon. And I was thinking
> of going to IRS. I was wondering though, once I have the IRS in, would this
> effect the orig. height the rear torsion bars were set at prev. w/ the swing? I
> wouldn't think it would but is there a possibility I'd have to readjust rear
> height after the install?

If you go to IRS you'll be wanting to replace the whole rear subframe at the
same time with an IRS rear subframe. The torsion bars that come in your "new"
subframe should already be set just fine, as long as the subframe came from the
same bodystyle that your type 3 has.

Oh, and assuming that "new" torsion bars are still good, too. They usually are.

Of course you will also need to weld in the rear mount engine hangers from the
donor body and you'll need a late engine with the rear mount crossbar and all
the hardware.

Hope you weren't thinking this was just a simple transmission swap....  ;-)

--
Jim Adney
jadney@vwtype3.org