Re: [T3] Best dizzy for AT with carbs?

On 21 Mar 2003 at 17:30, Ben Doughney wrote:

> I found with my FI distributor (& vacuum connected) that it would ping at
> lower RPM's, with the throttle wide open. Ever since I disconnected the
> vacuum, it has been fine since, although I can't help thinking it would go
> better with the proper distributor.

Yes, this is exactly what I would expect. The extra advance under load can
cause knock. You're really already getting all the advance you can use except
while cruising, and even the RIGHT distributor won't give you that.

> The only problem I have noticed lately
> is there is some wear on the SP wires where they come out of the
> distributor. The extra height of the FI dist. makes this worse I think.

Yes, this is the biggest problem with the FI dists.

> Speaking of which- I noticed in the November 2002 Volksworld (p. 95) that
> the '02 Mexibug has right angled connectors. Does anyone know if those are
> available separately or can you get complete sets?

Hmmm, really interesting. I wonder why they used them. Unfortunately all the
recent sets I have seen have the right angle connectors crimped in place,
wheras the OE style screw onto the cable and can be easily saved and reused.

Watch your local junkyard.

--
Jim Adney
jadney@vwtype3.org