Re: [T3] Best dizzy for AT with carbs?

on 21/3/2003 3:50 PM, Jim Adney at jadney@vwtype3.org wrote:

> But if you do this with the dual carbs, and then take it out and drive it
> spiritedly, then you will find that there are times when you have the rpms up
> and WOT which is when the carbs give THEIR max vacuum. You now have ~40 deg of
> advance. Of course it feels great. It would even feel greater at 50 deg. Would
> any of us recommend that for our cars? I doubt it.

I found with my FI distributor (& vacuum connected) that it would ping at
lower RPM's, with the throttle wide open. Ever since I disconnected the
vacuum, it has been fine since, although I can't help thinking it would go
better with the proper distributor. The only problem I have noticed lately
is there is some wear on the SP wires where they come out of the
distributor. The extra height of the FI dist. makes this worse I think.

Speaking of which- I noticed in the November 2002 Volksworld (p. 95) that
the '02 Mexibug has right angled connectors. Does anyone know if those are
available separately or can you get complete sets?

Ben Doughney

'75 1200L
'63 1200 - Ringo
'71 1600TL