Re: [T3] Best dizzy for AT with carbs?

On 20 Mar 2003 at 19:44, BOB2TYPE3S@aol.com wrote:

>  These numbers start getting close to a FI dizzy when you look at the
> numbers.The vac numbers work at the lower end though. Example of the 311 905
> 205 AE (from type3 Bentley book) mech advance begins at 950-1200, @1800 its
> got 11-16 degrees and mech ends at 4000rpms with 19-23degrees.The vac side
> starts at 90-120mmHg, and ends at 150-170mmHg with 8-12degrees. So what do
> you think?

The problem with trying to use both advances from a FI dist are that they will
give too much advance (~40 deg) if they both kick in at the same time. Now40
degrees is okay at light load, and that when the FI intake and dist will give
you that, because it only gives a strong vacuum AT LIGHT LOAD.

But if you do this with the dual carbs, and then take it out and drive it
spiritedly, then you will find that there are times when you have the rpms up
and WOT which is when the carbs give THEIR max vacuum. You now have ~40 deg of
advance. Of course it feels great. It would even feel greater at 50 deg. Would
any of us recommend that for our cars? I doubt it.

The problem is that the carbs give out their max vacuum under different
circumstances than the FI intake do. Each of them came with a distributor that
worked with the other half ot the system, and worked well. That doesn't make
either one better than the other, but it DOES mean that if you want to go an
play mix and match, you'd better understand what you're doing, or your engine
will suffer.