Re: [T3] Compression Ratio and Combustion Chamber Size....

>> This approach to your problem is correct if you are
>using barrel shims, I don't like using the head shims
>as they have a tendency to burn out and trench the
>head.

I would be using barrel shims not the copper head gaskets because that is
what I have.  I also don't care for the idea of another interface in the
combustion chamber that the copper head gaskets would introduce.

The combination of 0.010 and 0.040 is only because that is what I have on
hand.  I might run to the local VWFLAPS and see if they have a set of 0.030
shims.  Then I could use shims only on the 3/4 side and get a compression
ratio of 7.4 to 1 instead of the 7.25.

Either way I will have to go into both side because the 1/2 side is the one
I am replacing and the 3/4 is the smaller side that would need the shims.
Just the way this seems to go. <G>

Haven't heard a downside to using different shims on each side
yet.....anyone else have a thought on this?????  I have actually been doing
this for the last 12,000 miles but with only a 0.010 shim on one side and
nothing on the other.

Later,
John Jaranson
'71 FI AT Fasty (Jane - Darkside Project)
'66 Square (Sophy - Daily Driver)
About Half a Late Square (Organ Donor)
http://mywebpages.comcast.net/jaransonT3/jaransonT3/
http://mywebpages.comcast.net/jaransonT3/notavwclub/