RE: [T3] Water Leaks

On 20 Mar 2003 at 6:07, jason.smith@sarcom.com wrote:

> Last night it was raining so it gave me a chance to check things out.  I
> dried all around the ECU cover and what do you know, out pops this small but
> steady bead of water.  I tried repositioning it with the clip to the outside,
> but it still leaked.  I then replaced the rubber seal with a better one I had,
> but it still leaks?  What would be the next step, some sort of sealer?

You wrote "clip," but there should be 2. Was this a typo or do you need a
proper cover? I've also seen clips that were deformed so that they weren't
tight. It should be difficult to get the clips outside the body and still keep
the gasket positioned correctly. The gasket itself is usually glued to the
cover.

If you have 2 good strong clips, is the body wall bent there, from an earlier
accident? If so, you may have to straighten it, or bend it in a way that
redirects the water outside.

--
Jim Adney
jadney@vwtype3.org