Re: [T3] Reworking cylindars

On Wed, 2003-03-19 at 22:15, Keith Park wrote:
> Most of the Type3's that I knew when they were older had engines pretty
> whipped by 80K, Seldom did they make it to 100K.  That being said, my
> experiences paled in comparison to the number Russ has seen of course, and
> the cars that had the engines die that yongue were not maintained well, were
> missing thermostat's etc so it wasnt just the engines fault.  I doubt youd
> find many of the engines you came across today to be virgin longblocks... so
> who's cylinders are you trying to reuse?  Is there a good way to tell the VW
> ones??

To give an example, I just tore the engine down in my '66. The heads had
been off before, but the pistons/cylinders were genuine VW, and the case
had never been split before. The rings had been replaced at some time,
as they were 3 piece oil rings. (not stock). This engine still had a
working thermostat assembly. None of the head studs were pulled, and the
crank is still std/std. The case is in good enough shape, that it
doesn't need line bored. I will install case inserts for the studs, as I
am planing on converting it to a dual port engine, and don't want to
ever tear it down again.
Most of the T-3 engines that were treated decent just needed valve
guides at about 60K miles. Resealed the cylinder base, and
retorqued/resealed the main studs, and they were good for another 60K
miles.
Maybe it is the type driving that the cars in the midwest get. A lot of
highway miles, where the engine gets warmed up completely every time it
is started.
Gasoline washing IS hard on rings.

--
Russ Wolfe