Re: [T3] Hurst shifter issues

3/19/2003 1:25:09 PM, Wilson Webb <mnwebb@attbi.com> wrote:
> I have an older Hurst (bought
>it used like most things that I buy) and I agree with Mark, it is nice,
>except for one thing: the reverse lock out isn't locking out. I am able
>to shift into reverse without pulling up the handle, always by
>accident. Any ideas? Is it just worn out?

I don't know if it's of any help, but when I picked up the Hurst that's
now in my Bug, it had been sitting outside for years and years and the
reverse trigger mechanism was frozen .. it's been a bit more than a month
so it's all pretty fresh in my memory.

Make sure the lockout plate in the bottom of the shifter moves up and
down and isn't frozen in the "up" position (which would keep the reverse
lockout from working).  Also, check and make sure the wire running inside
is intact (is it even there?) and connected to both the lockout plate
and the trigger.  I've heard that a replacement can be made from an old
heater cable, but that the trigger needs it's hole enlarged as the
original wire was smaller -- YMMV, mine didn't need this so I haven't
tried.

Once all cleaned up and working, the Hurst *is* a nice solid piece.
I don't know if there was more than one model of Hurst, but the one
I have was also cloned by EMPI and Bugpack, which means that parts
are available .. just gotta find an old one of those at a swapmeet
sometime. =)