Re: [T3] Professional Resto

Matthew said:

> a full resto is likely to cost bucks, but allot of it you can learn to
> do  yourself. some of it may be too bad to even bother with, it all
> depends on  how much work you are willing to put in. if money is no
> option, go get as  many free quotes as you can, but you'll never get the
> same satisfaction as  doing it yourself, and i think most VW minded
> people want to do and learn  as much themselves as they can, at least
> that's how i see it...

Just my $.02, buying a rusty bug was my first mistake, a mistake made
purely from emotion (I loved the car the moment I saw it). Keep in mind
that most mechanical parts for these cars are relatively cheap (although
they're getting more expensive all the time, as referenced by our little
e-bay thread earlier) compared to contemporary cars, and most work you can
do yourself with some help from the list and a Bentley manual.

Bodywork on the otherhand is extremely time consuming, and therefore quite
expensive... Even good-looking cars can hide more rust than you might want
to deal with, and if you can see rust on it, chances are there's worse
where you can't see. I've been trying to keep that in mind on my recent
car search. Given that you already have the car, I guess it would depend
on how much rust is on it how you want to proceed. Rust is a never-ending
battle on these cars, so it pays to get as far ahead at the beginning as
you can, especially if you're learning. I think it's tough enough to learn
the mechanicals and maintenance at the beginning... The first time around
I had that AND worry about structural parts of the car becoming
compromised. As much fun as the car was, it wasn't fun worrying about
things on two fronts, one of which was very expensive.

Not trying to discourage you, but I made a pretty costly mistake the first
time around and just thought I'd share the (long) story...

Aaron

Sent Using eXtreme Mail Service http://www.xms.ms
300mb Mailboxes, POP/IMAP/Webmail, Autoresponders
Aliases, Secure Connections, And Much More.......